80 years DOLMAR


The DOLMAR chainsaw model A weighed 127.6 lbs. and was operated by two people. It had a HP of 8.0 (5.9 kW) and a displacement of 245 cc.
Corporate history is often linked with history in general and with developments that make history. E. Lerp & Co., for example, was a Hamburg company from the very beginning. Emil Lerp formed it due to his development of the world’s first petrol chain saw in 1927.

The saw proved such a success that Emil Lerp soon used the name DOLMAR for his company as well. The saw introduced a technical revolution in forestry all over the world. More innovations followed in subsequent years, one after the other, and they were all far ahead of their time. “Model CL” was launched in 1939. It was produced for almost 30 years and used across the entire globe. In 1935 the company launched the first one-man electric saw, model DB 35, and finally in 1952 the first one-man petrol chain saw. This was followed by the new all position diaphragm carburetor, which was the first of its kind, the gearless direct drive, the dual-mass vibration damper system, the Wankel Rotary engine and many revolutionary new developments that set new trends over and over again. The future has a long tradition for DOLMAR.

The Company name


Our company was named after Dolmar Mountain in Thuringia, which reaches an altitude of 2425 feet. This is where the first petrol chain saw model A of 1927 was used for the first time.
Why DOLMAR is called DOLMAR - Emil Lerp was a modern, forward-looking entrepreneur who knew how to motivate his staff. He organized an internal competition and asked the contestants to come up with a name for his saw. It had to be simple, sound good and easy to pronounce in many languages. It was Emil Lerp’s wife, Martha, who was the winner with her suggestion to call the saw DOLMAR. Dolmar Mountain in Thuringia was the site for the first use of the petrol chain saw of 1927. Emil Lerp was also a native of Thuringia and Dolmar Mountain was a holiday spot that his family would often frequent.

The saw proved such a success that Emil Lerp soon used the name DOLMAR for his company as well. The saw introduced a technical revolution in forestry all over the world.

Company logos

The company logo of 1928, still with African lilies as a symbol for the saw chains. The company logo of 1950 still shows a two-man saw being used, which was still a practical application at the time.

Model CL

Model CL of 1939, with its innovative construction, was way ahead of its time. This saw was produced for almost 30 years and was a worldwide success.


Model DB

Model DB 35 of 1935, the first one-man saw. This electric saw weighed a mere 48.4 lbs.

Model CP

Model CP of 1953 weighed only 29.9 lbs. The tip of the guide bar was individually exchangeable.


Model CF

Model CF of 1958, with the new all-position diaphragm carburetor. This made the swiveling gear obsolete. The new model weighed only 22.2 lbs.

KMS 4

The legendary KMS 4 from 1975, DOLMAR produced together with Fichtel & Sachs the first and only chain saw with a rotary engine.